This past Saturday was the Chiditarod race in Chicago. Substitute people and shopping carts for dogs and sleds from the Iditarod, add in an entry fee of food donations, before you know it you have 20,000 pounds of food and hundreds of participants providing scenes like this. Plenty more here.
The blowing winter snows mix in with loose sand on the beach, giving cutaways like this if you know where to look for them. Of note - the snow reduces the sand’s ability to hold weight, so when you do find a patch of this to walk on, your foot sinks by 4 - 6” instead of what you’re used to at a beach.
The weekend before last I went walking out on Lake Michigan at St. Joseph, MI. “Carefully” was the most important word. There’s next to no snow here, all that long blown clean away. Left behind, mountains of ice.
Music’s alright. I like it. Here’s what I really liked, November 2012 - November 2013, with a favorite song from each. Hopefully everyone here can stream from Grooveshark?
10) (self titled) Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
Life Is Hard
9) “Ghost on Ghost” - Iron & Wine
8) “The Bones of What You Believe” - CHVRCHES
7) “In Rolling Waves” - The Naked and Famous
6) “More Than Just A Dream” - Fitz and the Tantrums
5) “Pedestrian Verse” - Frightened Rabbit
4) “All the Times We Had” - Ivan & Alyosha
On My Way
3) “Hummingbird” - Local Natives
2) “The Hurry and the Harm” - City and Colour
1) “Trouble Will Find Me” - The National
Honorable mentions to “Les Reverants” (Mogwai), “Versions” (Zola Jesus), “Shulamith” (Poliça), “Reflektor” (Arcade Fire), “Loud Like Love” (Placebo), “Desire Lines” (Camera Obscura), “I Love You” (The Neighborhood), and “Pure Heroine” (Lorde). So many musics I liked this year!